Friday, March 28, 2014

Africa!! Topology project!


 This was a great project to undertake with my class. Being of mixed ages, the interest levels always vary and some of the kids don't always want to do as much as the others even if they enjoy it. But, here was a great task we could do in stages and kids could help out as and when they wanted!

We made Africa out of Salt dough! It was easy...seriously!

Making salt dough was fun - the kids loved the feel of it and just playing with it was a morning activity in itself!

The mixture I used was
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water

This proved successful and able to dry by the time I returned from my holiday!




 

Adding the dough was great fun too  as we could take small or big chunks and push them on together! Even returning to the project a few days later, one of the older children helped me paint with water so we could add more dough.

We talked about mountains, hills, peaks, lakes and again, kids were able to listen according to their levels of interest.







One of my students already knew Kilimanjaro, while others were just happy to paint a big ocean!


No comments: